How do I take care of my teeth with braces
Orthodontic Patient Instructions
- The single most important aspect of your tr eatment is keeping your teeth clean. It is essential that you brush your teeth af ter each meal, snack, and at bedtime.
- If you plan to use a Waterpik, don’t try to substitute this for good brushing and flossing. Flossing will be a little time consuming but must be done once a day.
- Avoid sweets as much as possible. If you do eat sugary foods and snacks, remember to brush after you eat these sweets. Don’t allo w this sugary starch to lie on your teeth for any lengt h of time and cause decay.
- Avoid sticky as well as hard food such as taffy, caramel, gum, ice, peanuts, hard kernels of popcorn, hard pizza crust, carrots, etc.
- Before bedtime, brush thoroughly and fl oss. Rinse your toothbrush and then brush with the fluoride. After brushing w ith the fluoride, empty the excess out of your mouth but DON’T RINSE.
- If any bands become loose, wires break, brackets come off, etc., please phone our office immediately. Don’t wait until your next appointment. This will only extend your treatment time